Background

Monday, August 6, 2012

Polenta Pie

My newest favorite book is "Forks Over Knives"...The plant-based way to health. The first recipe I decided to try in the book was "Polenta with Rice and Beans".
I will admit I had no idea what polenta was...I thought it was some kind of potato looking thing, imagine my surprise to find it in a bag...AKA corn grits lol.

I started with the polenta crust...That wasnt as easy as I thought it would be, it is a bit sticky but it wasnt long and I had it neatly in the pan.



For the filling I cooked my rice in my rice cooker using broth for the water, and I added a can of diced tomatoes, a diced onion, and a tsp of chili powder.

When that was done cooking I added a can of drained black beans and mixed it up and then added into the "pie crust".


I poured some mild salsa over the top and baked it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.


I was pretty pleased with how it came out. Very tasty and very filling.

I really enjoyed the polenta itself, but I think to do the recipe again I will add diced green chilis to the polenta.

What is your favorite polenta recipe?



No comments: