Background

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Canning Bread & Butter Pickles

I have wanted to can for years...and I think my jam making session has bit me with a lil dose of a canning bug.

So where to start?? We thought pickles would be a good start...never knew trying to find dill would be so hard...so finally found a store that carries it...but yeah...sold out right now. So how about bread & butter pickles...which are my absolute fave anyway!

Using the Ball Blue Book recipe:
In a large bowl combine:
4 pounds cucumbers cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 pounds onions thinly sliced
1/3 cup ball salt

Cover with ice cubes and let sit 1-1/2 hours
Drain, rinse, drain



In a large pot...because this makes a lot...combine:
2 cups sugar
2 TBL mustard seed
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp celery seed
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp peppercorns
3 cups vinegar

Bring to a boil and then add your drained cucumber and onion mixture...return to a boil.


Pack the hot pickles and liquid into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace and remove air bubbles then process in water canner for 10 minutes. This recipe made 7 pints...and to make again I think I will cut the onions up a little more than just slicing them because they kept wanting to clump together, but other than that it was quite easy peasy!



Mmmm...too bad we have to wait 4-6 weeks to dive into these babies!!



No comments: