Background

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Herbal Tea and Citrus'd Honey

The Hubs woke up one morning this week sick, sicker than I have ever seen in our 24 years together, this bug going around is a nasty one!! So with that said I wanted to try some of the natural remedys I blogged about earlier this week. So on my way home from work I stopped off at my local health food store and armed myself with supplies...


I bought Oranges, Lemons and an array of herbs and spices. First up I prepared the lemon ginger honey. I sliced my lemons and plucked out the seeds...

 
 
I layered them in the jar, sprinkled 1/4 tsp of ginger over them and filled the jar half way with honey and stirred...I have to say while stirring I started to wish that I had just mixed the honey and ginger in a bowl and then poured over...but too far in now, so after stirring I layered more lemons and topped the jar off with honey and stirred some more...Yummy honey from our local honeyman, MMM!
I could have added more lemons, I ended up with 1-1/2 lemons in a jam sized jar, but I wanted enough honey to enjoy, but I could have fit the other half lemon in. Now off to the fridge it goes...
 

 
I put the other half of the lemons in a cup with honey to use now.
 



Now for the tea. I bought Peppermint, Echinacea, Lemon Balm, Wild Cherry Bark, Licorice and Mullein. I measured a teaspoon of each one and put in a pan, then I added water and simmered on the stove for it to steep.

 
 
I strained it through a coffee filter and then we enjoyed our tea.
 


The Hubs really liked it, for me I have to say it was too sweet. I was not prepared for it to taste so sweet, and The Hubs even added his citrus honey on top of the already sweetness.
So now I am on a quest to find out which of those added sweetness. For men and kids it probably is a good thing as it helps them drink it since it tastes good...but I am different and enjoy something more herbal.
 
The end results were some yummy honey to enjoy in our tea, the next day The Hubs was back to himself and feeling really good...was it my "witch craft" as he likes to call it? Could be, I know it didnt hurt. I will be making these to keep on hand for future use. I also want to try the Elderberry recipe, but the health food store was out...so that can be a future post. :)


Stay well everyone!

 

No comments: