Background

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Who tips at the Holidays?

I usually struggle, do I tip or not at the holidays. I would like to tip my garbage man….but how do you leave them a tip? Tape it on the garbage can? Will they find it in the dark? Will someone else take it? Will it get thrown away??

What about the mail carrier, is giving them money legal?

I came across this handy guide of who and how you should tip. It suggests the mail carrier to receive a gift, not money, so that makes sense….but it doesn’t tell me how I should leave something for my garbage man….who I think deserves a tip! Any suggestions there?

Here is the guide I found, hopefully someone can find this useful…

Baby sitter………………… One evening's pay, plus a gift from your child
Barber……………………… Cost of one haircut
Beauty salon staff……… Cost of one salon visit
Day care provider……… A gift from you, or $25 to $70, plus a gift from your child
Dog walker………………… Up to one week's pay or a gift
Doorman……………………$15 to $80 or a gift ($15 each for multiple doormen)
Garage attendants……..$10 to $30 or a small gift
Gardeners…………………$20 to $50 each
Handyman…………………$15 to $40
Housekeeper…………….. Up to one week's pay and/or a small gift
Live-in help……………….. One week to one month's pay, plus a gift from you
Mail carrier………………… Gift worth less than $20; no cash, check or gift cards
Massage therapist…….. Up to the cost of one session or a gift
Nanny or au pair……….. One week's pay, plus a gift from your child
Newspaper deliverer…..$10 to $30 or a small gift
Package deliverer……….. Small gift in the $20 range
Personal trainer………….. Up to the cost of one session or a gift
Pet groomer………………… Up to the cost of one session or a gift
Pool cleaner……………….. The cost of one cleaning, to be split among the crew
Superintendent…………….$20 to $80 or a gift
Teachers…………………….. A small gift or note from you, plus a small gift from your child
Trash collectors……………$10 to $30 each

No comments: